Monday, July 21, 2008

Cute Is What We Aim For: Rotation

Never can I remember a record label delivering so many bands that so many people either love or hate... from the likes of Fall Out Boy, Panic! at the Disco and Cobra Starship comes another band off of Fueled By Ramen... Cute Is What We Aim For. And like the previous bands I mentioned there is a ton of mixed feelings about these guys. The sophmore album from this band is entitled Rotation which after listening to the album in full a few times, I still dont quite understand the title.

The cd of course starts out like most pop punk bands with a catchy as hell song called Practice Makes Perfect. Quickly followed up with another great song called Doctor which is a ton of fun to listen to which seems to gather a bit of influence from The Used. The third track is where the band completely loses me. The song Navigate Me is a song about sex... and not that its a problem but its hard to take the song seriously with a line like "And I'm going to start from your waist up through your navel"...? What? Ooooh so poetic! "Cause my minds on a mission, with enough ammunition, and the proper position." The lines just seem to be bragging that this guy just had sex for the very first time and he wants everyone to know how good he thought he was. Literally this song almost ruined this cd for me... thats how much I disliked it. Well I am happy to tell you that I do have a feature on my cd player called 'skip' and thats what I will be using when I listen to this cd. Dont get me wrong... this cd got much better for me on the following tracks. Songs like Loser, Do What You Do and Denial will surely get your toes tapping and Hollywood in my opinion is the solid stand out track. This song starts out with big trumpets and a big band feel. Sure the song gets a little politiacl from a guy who in my opnion probably is just against President Bush because its whatevery one else is doing, but I forgive him for that because this song is that much fun.

This cd will most likely not make it into my top albums of the year but there are some really fun tracks on it. The cd is very listenable and for the most part a step in a better direction from their first cd.

Grade: B-

For fans of: Panic! at the Disco, Cartel and Fall Out Boy

No comments: